Welcome back to Writing Wednesday and I have another interview. From Rochester New York, I give you CaTyra Polland. I hope you enjoy this one as well and I’ll see you guys in a bit.
- Please introduce yourself before we begin.
My name is CaTyra Polland, I am an author, editor, and the CEO of Love for Words, an editing boutique for CEO authors. I am a Rochester, NY native who graduated from University at Buffalo (B.A. Sociology/Spanish) and University at Albany (M.A. Criminal Justice).
- Every writer has an origin story to tell, what’s yours?
I started writing poetry in middle school. I entered a poetry contest and was recognized for my entry. I have been writing ever since.
- What was the first story, poem, or novel you ever worked on?
The poem is untitled.
- What’s the hardest thing about writing?
Accepting that everything you write isn’t your best work. Patting yourself on the back for trying and not giving up when it gets hard.
- What genres do you write in and do you have a favorite? Poetry and non-fiction. My favorite is non-fiction because it’s objective. I enjoy research and sharing knowledge, best practices, and information with others.
- Why do you write?
I write to educate/inform. I write to express my feelings and release stress.
- Okay, the tough question here. It’s no secret that Mental health is important for writers. Seeing that I want to be more of an advocate for it, is there any advice you like to give to people to keep fighting, whether you’re dealing with it personally or know someone that is?
If you are struggling with mental health issues seek healthy and safe ways to relieve stress. Counseling is a great tool but not everyone wants or needs a counselor. Do more of what makes you happy. Indulge in your passions.
- Before we leave is there anything you’re working on now or anything you have released?
Write, Wine & Quarantine anthology will be published this summer. I am currently accepting admissions for the anthology. The fee has been decreased from $100 to $25 for works that are selected for the anthology. You can visit www.pollandllc.com to submit an entry.
- Finally, anything you want to say to new writers/artists?
Keep writing. Enhance your artistry. Be proud of yourself. Support yourself, encourage yourself. Your tribe will follow you.
There you have folks and to all aspiring writers looking to get a start in the author worlds. I strongly suggest looking at her website and taking some time to think about it. But that’s all I have for you guys today. If you were interested in CaTyra. You can learn more about her, on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Just remember to read, write, or create whatever it is you’re doing and have fun doing it.
“If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else.”